Saturday, September 22, 2012

What do you do with your juicer pulp?


As I get older I'm more aware of what foods I choose to eat. I'm more aware of people eating only "organic" and proudly announcing "I'm a vegan." I wonder how they got to that point in their lives and decided I'm going to ask them next time I see them.
I'm interested in their story. Most people I know weren't brought up eating whole grains,fruits and vegetables.
Since I've been reading about the benefits of juicing, I've been using my juice machine. I like the idea of getting back to basics when I'm hungry. Apple juice made with apples. Carrot juice made with carrots. Maybe mix them together and add some kale. What I don't like is dumping the pulp in the garbage disposal. I don't know what else to do with it. Today I've decided to look into it. So, I'm on the hunt for some good ideas.
This morning has me searching for carrot pulp recipes and I'm wondering..."What do you do you do with your juicer pulp?"

4 comments:

  1. You need to start composting!

    Our friends have made veggie crackers by keeping just the vegetable scraps apart from the fruits and freezing them until they were ready to bake them into a cracker...very heavy on the kale so I wasn't a fan, but we have different tastes! They said they are excellent with hummus.

    I've been successful saving just the carrot pulp and making an excellent cake; but how many carrot cakes can you make? Or carrot pancakes? Maybe carrot crackers are a 'thing' to try?

    It never struck me to run them through the disposal, here I am making realllly stinky trash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rengawk...
    Thanks for your suggestions. I made a cake with the carrot pulp. Added some cream cheese frosting. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too freeze my pulp and use it later in muffins, cakes, breads. I am NOT a fan of kale juiced or other wise. I just can't do the taste of it at all.
    Nicole/Beadwright

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Beadwright. I'm going to try freezing it too.

    ReplyDelete